PDA

View Full Version : John's International Scout / Toyota Chinook Camper / Expidition 4x4

BCB-John
10-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi Gang,

I would like to introduce you to my newest brainstorm project. I have been wanting a 4-wheel pop up Scout Camper for my Ih Scout Traveler model for some time now. I have found a few but the timing was not right (however if you know of one for sale please contact me). In addition they are square and not all that attractive. Recently I have been pondering other alternatives and come across what i think will be a pretty functional and cool way to achieve my goal.

What is my goal you ask? Well i want a rig that i can 4 wheel in, but also camp out of on short and extended vacations to rivers, mountains, deserts, Lakes, and anything mother nature has to offer us for fishing, hunting, summer trail rides, concert events, Rokon Romp events, and even tailgating. The rig must get good to decent MPG and have good overall driving characteristics. The uses are endless and I know that is a broad scope, but one I think pretty achievable. As a secondary bonus while building this it will be another way to showcase & demonstrate my mechanic,fabrication, and execution skills to my customers so they know what they get when I am hired to do a job at my shop.

So are you on the edge of your keyboard yet? Subscribe to this thread and follow along with me on my journey. :D

BCB-John
10-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Here are the first pictures after getting the Rig Home. Its a 1974 Toyota Hilux Chinook Camper. Later they started calling them Pickups except everywhere else in the world that still called them Hilux's. The camper body was added to Toyota cab and chassis assemblies by the Chinook motorhome company for an economical way to have a mini motorhome for family camping in the 1970s while getting 18-20 MPG. The engine is a 18R 4 cylinder with a 4-speed transmission.

BCB-John
10-21-2012, 03:54 PM
These are pictures the day it arrived at the shop.

BCB-John
10-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Let the 3+ hours of washing and scrubbing begin.

BCB-John
10-21-2012, 04:00 PM
These pics are after my arms are sore from scrubbing all the mold off the fiberglass and sheet metal. Glad it was out in the open and not found under a tree. I found this from a sweet old 93 years young Mrs. Berkley up by Kitsap Lake in Bremerton Washington. She use it to transport her sister around to the hospital when she was sick and later as a portable office for her business.

She is so nice i am going back to mow her lawn and put up some wire around her strawberries that the deer keep eating.

BCB-John
10-21-2012, 04:05 PM
She was sad to see it go but knew it was in good hands. There is something wrong with the motor as it does not turn over. I think its frozen up. I am getting another one of these campers that has a good shell and the interior is bad. It is a perfect candidate for a build out conversion, but more importantly it has a running 20R motor.n I may transplant the motor and use this one for Salmon fishing weekend on the river temporarily while i select the Scout to go under this (more on that later ;) )

BCB-John
10-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Have you subscribed to this thread yet? Use the thread tools at the top right corner of the thread section to do so. :)

BCB-John
10-21-2012, 04:16 PM
All washed up and looking soo clean like its ready to go camping right now!!

BCB-John
10-21-2012, 04:19 PM
So here is the interior when i got it. It was a base model with just an icebox so the nice thing is there are no doors on the side and i can build it out without having to glass in the holes if i want to relocate the items that need ventilation. However i am thinking i will vent them in a more creative way if possible so I don't have to cut up and install access doors from the outside.

BCB-John
10-21-2012, 04:26 PM
The stove you see in the first picture was added on, and is powered by a small "green" propane can underneath. The little ones you buy at the store. The icebox was removed by the previous owner as well. There is a small water pump faucet and a bigger one for when you have it hooked to a hose from outside. The bed platform was removed and all that was given to me when i got the Toyota Hilux Chinook was the mattress pads.

BCB-John
10-21-2012, 04:29 PM
The passenger seat was gone when i got it too. It bears a similar resemblance to the IH Scout 2 short bucket seats of the day.

BCB-John
10-21-2012, 04:32 PM
The roof is often "cut back" to allow easier entry on these style Chinooks to the back from the front cab area. It was a small storage shelf originally. I can also see a tall person wanting more head room.

BCB-John
10-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Its funny how most older campers always have one of these weather stations. Anyway thats all the pics and progress for now. The next step will be choosing the International to graft this onto. My current choices are a 1961-1965 Scout 80 or 1966-1971 Scout 800, 1972-1980 Scout 2, or 1976-1980 Scout Traveler.

I looked at moding it onto a IH Travelette (crewcab pickup) or a C-series Travelall cut off behind the second door but it would be just too big for what my goals are of a rig that can do some harder trails. Also they are too wide. The Scouts are narrower and more maneuverable. Plus they have the box frame and great running gear to start with.

What are your thoughts so far? I am open to all kinds of advice and perspectives and appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Till next time stay tuned and subscribe to this thread so you will be notified of the latest updates :)

Scout Driver
10-22-2012, 09:16 PM
How closely would it line up to the wheelbase of a Traveler or Terra? I can picture it mated to a Scout.

Looking forward to how this project progresses!

Scott

BCB-John
10-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Well its not the wheelbase that matters, its the distance from the overhang to the center of the rear wheel that is more important. But my initial measurements show it to be 57" and a perfect match from the leading edge by the front windshield to the center of the rear axle, but the opening for the wheel well is pretty big if in fact it needs to move to match up.

I am thinking that i may even trim the bottom skirts and angle cut the rear for clearance and departure angle. After that i was thinking some exo caging the lower areas with rocker guard type tubing to protect the lower extremities.

Baradium
10-23-2012, 01:42 PM
I looked at moding it onto a IH Travelette (crewcab pickup) or a C-series Travelall cut off behind the second door but it would be just too big for what my goals are of a rig that can do some harder trails. Also they are too wide. The Scouts are narrower and more maneuverable. Plus they have the box frame and great running gear to start with.

You mention the width of the full sizes, how wide is the rv body itself in reference to a full sized pickup or a scout? If the rv body is as wide as a pickup you won't lose anything by going f/s IMO. I'd almost rather have the vehicle body be as wide as the camper so that it's harder for you to get into a situation where you think you can fit and you start tearing into the side of the camper section. Of course, if you add a second set of doors, that does a lot to your length as well and a scout based one will still turn better. It's hard for me to tell in the pictures how wide the body really is, it might be perfect width for a scout anyway.

My project is probably 2 or 3' wider than your toyota... so I can't even dream of any really narrow stuff with it myself.

BCB-John
10-31-2012, 12:45 PM
You mention the width of the full sizes, how wide is the rv body itself in reference to a full sized pickup or a scout? If the rv body is as wide as a pickup you won't lose anything by going f/s IMO. I'd almost rather have the vehicle body be as wide as the camper so that it's harder for you to get into a situation where you think you can fit and you start tearing into the side of the camper section. Of course, if you add a second set of doors, that does a lot to your length as well and a scout based one will still turn better. It's hard for me to tell in the pictures how wide the body really is, it might be perfect width for a scout anyway.

My project is probably 2 or 3' wider than your Toyota... so I can't even dream of any really narrow stuff with it myself.

The body of the Fiberglass Camper portion is about 72" or about 2" wider than a Scout 2. The full-size IH trucks are about 2-3" wider than that so the camper body would be narrower than the cab and look funny i think. Plus i like the turning ability and narrowness of the Traveler for trails. Its about the max size i would want to go. That said i will have to be careful with the camper sides but have even though of cutting them and narrowing the bottom 2 feet to match the width of the Traveler.

One Crazy idea i had is to cut out the inside of the traveler inner quarter panel and reinforce them and make the camper section match up to the top of the rail (kinda like a slide in) but still run the fiberglass inside to seal up the shell.

Oh i just got an idea. What if i got a pair of fiberglass quarter panels and when i narrowed the bottom section of the camper i graft them to the camper shell so it looks like a Traveler tub and has the same wheel well openings, etc. Hmm that would look cool i think. I think some learning of photo-chop is in order to see what this would look like. :)

Baradium
11-11-2012, 06:51 PM
On the one hand, the body may be narrower than a full sized, but I don't think it'd be as noticable as you fear. It'd put the body width pretty close (slightly wider) than the D series body from where the body sucks in around where the door handle is wouldn't it? You could also put an exo cage on the camper at that point without sacrificing too much additional body width.

That said, overall width wouldn't be any wider if you did the same thing with a traveler.

You might find it more difficult to narrow the camper than you'd think just because I'm sure stuff is packed right up to the walls. Either way it should be a fun project.

I'd also say, maybe it'd be better to put it on a full size just becuase then it'll be easier to keep in mind that you AREN'T really driving a traveler anymore ;) Might be less likely to bash it up on the rocks that way.

BCB-John
11-19-2012, 11:18 PM
But i want to be able to trail ride it in tighter stuff and the Scouts turning radius is wayyyyyy better than a fullsize. Plus its more in the theme of the mini expedition camper.

Scout Driver
01-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Any new progress?? Curious.

Scott

BCB-John
01-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Hi Scott,

Just got slammed with the 3 projects that are going on in the BCB buildups thread right now along with a nasty cold, and some other winter things that bumped its priority down a few steps. Hope to make some headway by spring, but really need a shop worker thats a good employee to help me handle the load.

Anyway will see what happens and i will post as soon as i get some progress.