+ Reply to Thread

Thread: John's Vegetable oil cleaning and filtering setup for SVO or BioDiesel

Default John's Vegetable oil cleaning and filtering setup for SVO or BioDiesel

Well its time to show you all what i have been working almost a year on doing. I started collecting Used Vegetable Oil from local bars, mini Marts, and restaurants just over a year ago to burn as fuel in my Diesel truck and car.

I did not want to mess with dirty filters and have the expense of disposing of them as well as buying replacments every time they clouged up. So i looked for a better way to clean / filter it so i would not cost me and be as messy. What i came up with is one of the best way i could have ever found. Its a centrifuge manufactured by Randy down at Simple Centrifuge in Morton Washington.

I also gotta give props to Dave over at www.threedeadflies.com also located in Washington. I spoke with Dave at length and discussed what he had been doing and looked over the various pages on his site documenting his trials and errors in order to learn as much as I could. He is the one that turned me on to the centrifuge idea as a better way to filter my oil.

So here are some pictures as i put up my setup.
    Last edited by BCB-John; 11-08-2012 at 03:17 PM.

..............Defy Ordinary!.............

After talking with Randy who is very knowledgeable about the subject and willing to offer up as much help over the phone as i have seen anyone do in a long long time. It reminds me of the days when i would get calls at 9pm at night about IH Scout stuff and take the time to walk people through some thing for 30-60 minutes on the phone. Anyway his suggestion was to heat the oil before it went in the Centrifuge to make it more viscous and easier for the particulate to come out while spinning at 3650 RPM and 20 times the earths gravity.

His goto was the small 2.5 gallon water heaters for small short use applications. I found one on Craigslist and bought it. I have since purchased another one to use with the waster motor, transmission, and gear oil that i will later use to heat my shop in a waste oil furnace. Thats what the tank to the far left up top is full of. I keep the water heater set at the lowest setting of 110 so that it does not vaporize the water that is mixed in with the oil. I want the water to settle to the bottom of the tank and then the oil goes on into the centrifuge. I will drain the water out from time to time. If you vaporize the water then you need to do even more cleaning to remove it before it goes through your diesel engine. I installed a valve on it to regulate the flow of the oil into it and keep it at about 5-7 gallons per hour. I can run it through faster but the more time the oil spends in the centrifuge the better it will be cleaned.

The last picture shows the adapter i made from plumbing parts to adapt the 2" pipe thread down to the size for a hose nipple. I then used 1" OD that is 3/4" ID clear hose for the transfer tubing to the water heater so i can see what is going into it. I also use the little droplets of oil inside and how fast they move as a gauge to set my flow rate. Occasionally the valve on the heater plugs and i have to crack it wide open and then back down to clear it.
    Last edited by BCB-John; 10-23-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Oh and the reason the water heater was taken apart was to clean it and check it out. I used compressed air to blow out the mineral powder that had been building up inside. This heater has a replacable element should the one go out.

So now you can see how i built a platform for the centrifuge to sit on. I drilled a hole in the wood to feed the output line through dumping the cleaned oil into a large tank. I will be adding some fungicide in there to keep the oil from molding up. You can see the clear tubing routed over to the water heater and then i needed something that could take some low heat as the warmed oil came out and went into the Simple Centrifuge. I chose Pex Tubing for it cheap price and since it has the ability to bent when i remove the inlet feed pipe that goes inside the centrifuge for cleaning and if i want to switch the centrifuge over to the "motor oil tank". In hindsight the oil comes out of there at about 80-90 degrees so i thing that the clear tubing could withstand that temp. I will do some tests with it in a pot of water and check its durability before i replace the PEX tubing. That way I can see what comes out of the heater because at times you feed some nasty oil in there and it would be good to see if particulate is dropping out in the heater and building up in the bottom.
    Last edited by BCB-John; 10-23-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Some have asked what the shelving is. Its the same stuff Costco, and Home depot, etc use. I sourced it from a business in Auburn Washington called The Rusty Rack guys and its not all that expensive. Its really sturdy and they have different stuff for different weight ratings. You can easily build a "temp" structure outside and cover the roof with a tarp and have a makeshift garage work area that you can store stuff on.

And so the Death Star was made fully operational. I fired this contraption up at midnight in September 2012. It worked flawlessly and not a thing leaked. Success. I ended up running it for several hours then shutting it down till i came back to it the next day. I did not want to run it unattended until i was sure it was going to be ok. The next day i ran it for 10-12 hours and when that went perfect, i decided to give the "fuge" a chance. I let it run for the next 3-4 days strait as i had accumulated over 400+ gallons of oil and needed to get it processed to empty the tank and allow me to put more in that was stacking up in cubies (the square containers the oil comes in from places like Costco, etc). It ran without fail. It only started to clough when it got near he bottum of the tank and the gunkies started to come down the line.

I stopped it and will run that through my two wire screen pre filters again to remove the large particulate. I have a system of grading the oil as when it comes it can be all oil, or a combo of shortening and oil. The shortening is the white more solidified oil that has accumulates. This can be burned in a veggie oil system but is not real good for making BioDiesel. So I have a settling drum that i put the oil in till I get 55 gallons in there. It sits for weeks and then I pump off the top into the big upper centrifuge tank where it will sit for many more weeks. The whole idea is to have enough sustainable oil to be able to take your time filtering it and letting it settle. Now that i started with a large quantity I should be able to do that unless I start doing some serious driving miles.
    Last edited by BCB-John; 10-23-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Ok so after about 325 gallons filters here is the particulate i have removed. I opened up the centrifuge per the instructions and used a soft spatula or similar tool to scrape the inside of the bowel. You can see the o-ring that seals the bowels lid to itself. You can also see the superior feed cone that Randy designed to force the incoming oil down to the bottom and outside edge. Its then forced to slowly work its way all the way to the top center where it comes out and splashed against the outside of the casting and funnels down to the drain tube and into the tank. From here the oil could be dumped in the tank of a SVO system and run as is. Its clean down to about 1 micron and the filter you have on your diesel truck should take out anything that was unlikely to have made it past the centrifuge.

Pretty dark and nasty stuff as you can see in the last two pics. Kinda smells like burns food, because thats exactly what it is. I will post up more as time comes and the project evolves, but thats my Simple Centrifuge oil filtering setup.

Thanks for the great post. Really helps a novice like me.

+ Reply to Thread