+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BCB Electrical Wiper Conversion installation on "Pearl" 1970 IH Scout 800A

Default BCB Electrical Wiper Conversion installation on "Pearl" 1970 IH Scout 800A

Had problems with the Driver’s side Vacuum Wiper Motor, took it apart and found “Rotted” Leather was not going to make the required Seal. Found the BCB Electric Wiper Conversion …. So
    First, I was really impressed with the parts I received, heavy duty and quality built to say the least. So, off I go to do the installation …..
    1. Drilled out the existing Wiper Motor holes to required 5/8” diameter. Made sure the inner existing slots were now big enough for the new motor. Checked the Supplied mounting washers and realized there would be some trimming required on the Windshield Seal …..

2. Fitted the motors with the mounting Washer and got the flat mounting inside and out that I wanted ….

3. Inside installation went very easy with the directions received, got both motors mounted very securely ….

4. Started my wiring, trying to be a little “Outside the Box” (notice the Blue Conduit with the Yellow Cable Ties) but still not have to repair wires after taking out and re-installing the Dashboard, several times …. You never know how many times that’s going to happen ... Didn’t get a picture but I added sheet Foam over the Dash Installation Rail and covered the motors to help protect from rubbing….

Obivously I got carried away on the photos .... so part 2 to come on the next post
    Last edited by Arkie; 07-07-2015 at 05:49 AM.
    Tempted and Tried by a Fine pair of Legs, also enticed by Over Easy Eggs

On to Part 2 .... Continue the Installation
    5. As many of you know my 1970 International Scout 800A does not have a Fuse Box to get power to new Electrical Items, so I stole an idea from: … http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...on-w-pics.html …. This includes Battery Power two 40 Amp Circuit Breakers, followed by two 40 Amp Relays. Power for the Relays comes from the Ignition Switch (two wires to one Accessories Blade Connector). Did this to keep from adding more “Load” to the Switch or any other existing circuit. Power to and from the new Fuse Box comes on only when the Ignition Switch is in the “On Position”…

6. Power from the Relays feeds into the Marine Style Fuse Box (modified the original box to have 6 each positions on each 40 Amp Service). Mounted the Fuse Box forward of the Brake Pedal, just for ease of access …. Hoping that I don’t need in there very often ….. While I was doing this I “redid” some of the wiring that “PO” had cut and patched together (ie: Radio, and the “Off Steering Wheel Horn Button”)

7. Added the Box Cover and some Labels and “Look Good to Me”

8. Everything works! Woohoo! Added the actual Wipers and I am done with this portion of the “Pearl” project ….

My Original 1970 AM Radio now works, so I have what “Tunes” a person can get on that Band of Air Radio. I didn’t take pictures but I drilled the Original Knobs out to fit the New Switches, and was able to locate them to allow for the “Future Windshield Washer Option (built in to the Kit). This little touch makes the Interior look completely original, Dual Original Knobs.

To Top the Day off, I hooked up the Boat and went Fishing! …. Got back to the Ramp and it started Raining …. So here goes this “Ole Guy” in a “Ole Scout”, Grinning Ear to Ear while the Drivers Side Windshield Wiper goes back and forth … No One else in the Truck with me, so I left the passenger side Off ....
    Realized after talking with John at BCB that 5 Amp Fuses would be better … just leaves me more available Amperage from that side of the Fuse Box …. Thinking I’ll try to move all the Non-Engine Electrical Systems to this Box
    Really a Great Conversion Kit, with Quality Components …. And after installation really Very Happy how well it works!
    Last edited by Arkie; 07-07-2015 at 05:50 AM.

Great job! Someday I'll go to electric wipers... Someday?
    - Shop
    Here's some of my other projects...
    http://shopschops.blogspot.com/

Thanks!
    I am reworking the Washer portion of the System this week .... then the Whole Windshield Wiper/Washer System will be complete!
    I wouldn't have changed over (if I could rebuild the drivers side) but may be driving to Tampa, Florida next year for a extended stay (work related), Summer time it rains everyday at 3:00 pm, you can almost set your watch by the rain storms. Rains hard for 30-45 minutes and then just Steamy!

Arkie,
    I totally understand I'm up in Northern Florida and even as I type this there is a crazy afternoon storm going on right now. And just like you said it will dump then clear up causing 100% miserable humidity. As a matter of fact I'm replying to this on my phone because the power is totally out. So believe me I totally understand the wiper situation. I did post a vacuum wiper thread about salvaging the wipers cheaply but no matter how good the vacuum wiper when pulling a hill they won't ever compare to the electric one, (unless perhaps you've done the vacuum boost mod that some guys do) so long story short I'm envious of your conversion.
    - Shop
    Here's some of my other projects...
    http://shopschops.blogspot.com/

Hey, I also bought the electric wiper motors from BCB. Somewhere along the line I read or was told that there are videos or threads like this with actual pictures to help with installation. So far I can't find much of anything. I see from the last two postings above that the pictures associated with this post should be somewhere but I don't know how to access them. The one video online only shows drilling the window frame which, in my opinion, is the one step you could have not shown. This video alludes to a part 2 which doesn't exist. I've got the motors in and the wiring between the motor and switch is simple. Setting up a switched fuse block powered directly from the battery and activated by the ignition switch can't be too had to pull off either but, as with all this stuff, if you don't know how then you don't know. So starts the gathering of vague or slightly off subject info from 10 sources across the internet until, eventually, you can guess in the grey areas with authority. Can you guys direct me to a better/complete explanation of how to do the wiring right? Thanks

My complete write up is here, including the portion where i added the windshield wiper washer fluid squirter. http://bpetray.kinja.com/had-problem...tor-1628071184

Hi Everyone, I reworked Arkies post with the links from the pictures of his installation. I also saved them and will repost them here in case the server they are hosted on gets changed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside window hole.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	3030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside window motor mounted.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	3031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Dash Motors mounted..jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	3032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Dash Motors wired.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	3033  

The rest of the 8 pictures from above just in case the server location they are hosted on changes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Extra relay wiring in engine bay..jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	3037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extra Fuse Block added.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	3035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extra Fuse Block wires in.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB