+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IH 800A Swapping Spring Bushings

Default IH 800A Swapping Spring Bushings

After talking with BCB, I suspect the Spring Bushings on my 1970 Scout are "shot" .... wondering if I should just get the new ones I want and have them installed (money spent) or do it myself (limited tools and time). Or is there a way to tell if their "Shot" without pulling apart? ...
    Anyone got a simple way, with limited tools (not even sure what tools it would take) to accomplish this .... while the internet is a wonderful thing, some stuff is hard to explain to a "Non Mechanic" ...
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    Tempted and Tried by a Fine pair of Legs, also enticed by Over Easy Eggs

Hi Arkie,

I was hoping some others would chime in here on what they did. But i have heard the Harbor Freight balljoint press tool works to press them out with a socket. I like the torch method to get the inner sleeve and rubber out, then the hacksaw blade inserted through the eye and reassembled. Then just slice through the sleeve till it pops in a bit and falls out. Be careful to keep it flat so you only cut the sleeve. If you get it 90% close a chisel with usual bend up the sleeve by the cut and pop it out. But if the springs are shot then i would invest in new ones.

..............Defy Ordinary!.............

Default Life is Good .... almost

Had local Mechanic look at the Springs and Spring bushings before I started doing something I might not know the best way to do ..... Springs and Bushings are "Good but there are no Body Bushings except for the very front .... I thought there was supposed to be some" (his words) .... so he and I didn't see any evidence of any ...... So now to find some sort of map where they are supposed to be ....

Ordering Body Bushings today!!! Woohoo!, more updates!

+ Reply to Thread